A new report by the Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities (APLU), funded by NSF, has a number of recommendations regarding recruitment and retention of diverse faculty in STEM, titled Strengthening Pathways to Faculty Careers in STEM: Recommendations for Systemic Change to Support Underrepresented Groups.
The following is a summary of the report’s recommendations:
- Develop more robust programs focusing on the transitions from graduate student to faculty or post-doctoral roles, and early career supports for faculty.
- Prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion as the lens through which you do your work, not as another initiative or separate activity.
- Bring a spirit of curiosity and discovery to learning about and from underrepresented students and colleagues.
- Take advantage of opportunities to learn about implicit bias and microaggressions, and how they manifest in decisions about underrepresented students and colleagues.
- Be an ally to underrepresented individuals in institutional, departmental and disciplinary spaces.
- Develop more research about the needs and experiences of those who depart and re-enter the pathways to the STEM professoriate.